The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Slaggyford Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
Slaggyford Stones
Re: Slaggyford Stones .
170 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Yes a good point TSC and well put over. Quite how much 'advancement' in building techniques there would be back then we can only guess at. Technology moves on so quickly today but would it have been the same then I wonder?

No, probably not much actual advancement as we might understand it (and slower, certainly). But a change of viewpoint could just as easily change the plan - you only have to look at Bryn Celli Du, where the stone circle/henge was destroyed to build the chambered tomb. Or a local escalation of a status competition ("they buggers at Marlbro have built a roight big mound"). Even an increase in ambition, over successive generations, or a desire to build upon what their forefathers had done. Lots of reasons why the plan might change over time, without negating the completeness of the original scheme.

Absolutely. And I've always thought that its purpose was instigated right from the completion of the main primary mound that held all the important 'ingredients required to set that into motion. I can't believe that it didn't actually become of use until completion 100 + years into the future.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
11th September 2011ce
21:19

In reply to:

Re: Slaggyford Stones . (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: