The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Slaggyford Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
Slaggyford Stones
Re: Slaggyford Stones .
170 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Another example you might have mentioned is the use of antural markings within genuine rock art ,look at how the man made markings are enclosed in natural markings . http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/6641/craig_hill.html .This is not uncommon and the questiion is did the engravers see these natural markings as convenient frames or whether they maybe perceived as earlier man made markings .

Tiompan, I think I've learnt a lot from a few of the posts here, especially with regard to natural markings. Do you mind me asking about the above example - is it possible that the natural markings occurred after the man-made carvings as sandstone can crack and split over long periods of time.

June , I have just realised that I should mentioned what pic to go to get the best example . The particular case I was thinking of was pic 29 from the top left .
As it's not an uncommon feature to find the natural markings incorporated into man made designs it suggests that the natural was primary but that doesn't mean it couldn't have occurred later . In the case above (no 29 )because there are multiple "frames " I think that is more certain natural first .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
11th September 2011ce
10:43

In reply to:

Re: Slaggyford Stones . (tjj)

Messages in this topic: