The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Slaggyford Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
Slaggyford Stones
Re: Slaggyford Stones .
170 messages
Select a forum:
The fact that Silbury is man made is incredibly important what it looks like is secondary and we wouldn't consider comparing it with a natural hill or lump . Similarly if someone claims that that a natural lump is another man made hill we should ensure that it really is as they are precious .

I beg to differ Mr t. True, the fact that Silbury is manmade is of immense importance but I disagree that what it looks like is of secondary importance. Indeed, what it looks like may indeed be of primary importance, that is why it was made to look like it is, and it may even have been modelled on, or inspired by, a natural formation. Again, as stated above, I think it’s a mistake to lay too much emphasis on the purely manmade when we can easily list several natural mounds, hills, rocks and mountains which, because of the cultural importance they have been endowed with, are of anthropological if not of purely archaeological importance.

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
10th September 2011ce
18:18

In reply to:

Re: Slaggyford Stones . (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: Slaggyford Stones . (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: