The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Slaggyford Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
170 messages
Select a forum:
"Because of you ignorance of the subject and rudeness about surveyors who have forgotten more than you will ever know"

If you look at the English Rock Art map, showing the Knaresdale panel 1, you'll see another site marked, but it is not listed. That's roughly where the larger of the two standing stones is and suggests that the rock art surveyors did actually get to it. Note how their survey sheet correctly identifies 'Knarsdale' while the ERA listing describes it as 'Knaresdale'. The two stones at Tortie have not been surveyed and are not listed there- a serious omission - and neither has a very small standing stone on Hallbankhead fell. This has two conventional cupmarks. I can see that the surveyors tried hard but, in their description of Knaresdale 1, have missed out a very important factor, which is the pattern of the grain of the sandstone. There are coarse quartz inclusions in the shape of a bounded X, and this feature is common to each of this group of marked stones. It is possible to follow this quartz pattern into the bedrock, at the place these stones were quarried. There's no pitting on that stone, natural or artificial, and a hunk of rock, 'recently' prised from this quarry face, is lying there, with the inclusions, but without the indents. It needs a stonemason to notice these things, I'm afraid, and I could have pointed it out, on site, in 2007, but, sadly, due to not being able to walk far, am no longer able to do so.

Reply | with quote
StoneGloves
Posted by StoneGloves
10th September 2011ce
10:23

In reply to:

Re: Slaggyford Stones . (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: Replay x436 (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: