The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Slaggyford Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
Slaggyford Stones
Re: Slaggyford Stones .
170 messages
Select a forum:
I'm afraid you're going to be more specific than that. Which stones do you mean? As I've listed several different stones, that are as far as half a mile apart, it is difficult to understand which ones you are referring to when you say they are common features on stones.

How are you able to tell the profile of the cupmarks on the stones from my poor photographs. The Slaggyford Stones are a couple of standing stones - one about five feet high, marked on two sides, very eroded, and the second just a couple of feet high. There's only the photos of one of those stones on that site page, so how are you able to deduce that 'they don't look like standing stones to me'. You would need to visit them to form a valid opinion, surely.

You have shown me that a group of boulders, that have been quarried, carved and arranged, would be unique in the British archaeological record. Eventually I may be grateful for that insight but, at the moment, am simply irritated. I do wish that I had taken a simple GPS handset on the fell to record their location accurately and I do wish I had the ability to return to these stones to take proper photographs. It could be that these carved stones are the crumbs amongst the larger monuments I have found and that I should concentrate on these more.

I do have more photographs but they are in very deep storage indeed. I don't think I've ever posted a pic of the Pogglestone, which is on the Cumbria-Northumberland border, nor do I recall posting a picture of the smaller of the two standing stones, which has two conventional cupmarks on one facet. I've found a few standing stones and this is the first time anyone has said 'it's not a standing stone'. It's like pointing to the sea and saying 'that's a motorway filling station' (ie it's ridiculous). The larger of these Slaggyford stones has quite an atmosphere - but you have to get past some devious and difficult farmers before you can see it. It's neither near a footpath nor under Right To Roam. But it is aligned and, from there, you can see maybe fifty miles, which is a long way in those hills ...

Reply | with quote
StoneGloves
Posted by StoneGloves
9th September 2011ce
11:04

In reply to:

Slaggyford Stones . (tiompan)

1 reply:

Re: Slaggyford Stones . (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: