The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cornwall Forum Start a topic | Search
Cornwall
Cornwall - some Questions
12 messages
Select a forum:
Hello - Just back from a trip to Cornwall. I had a fantastic time traipsing around and seeing some familiar sites as well as hunting out some new sites.

I started off in Penzance and visited the Merry Maidens, Men an Tol (after an hours searching!), Lanyon Quoit, Nine Maidens circle, Mulfa Quoit, Chysauster, up to Nine Maidens stone row, my old friend Men Gurta, St Breock's Down Menhir, The Fiddler, then Bodmin and The Hurlers, Trippet Stones, Stripple Stones (took me an hour to find them again same as last time!) King Arthur's Halls, Stannon, Roughtor, Brown Willy's Hut Circles.

Some questions popped up on my travels and if anyone has any comments I'd be grateful for them.

Nine Maidens Stone Row - What was this site when it was orignally built? years ago - surely more than the current aligned stones? There are felled stones and also large remains of stones near the fence and adjacent field, were these all part of the same site? What's the significance of a row instead of a circle?

The Fiddler - I'd read some notes that the the Maidens are aligned to this stone - what are they in relation to eachother?

Camelford - as you travel from Wadebridge through the village, on the right hand side of the high street there is a courtyard with a large monolith situated there - has anyone noticed this? I was only driving past so wasn't sure if it was decorative or a preserved stone?

On Craddock Moor I found a small stone circle about 400 metres from The Pipers to the north east - can anyone tell me their name?

Near the Merry Maidens I found another small stone circle, unnamed on OS, about 3/4 miles to the west - again, can anyone help name them?

Chysauster - there are two stones that look as if they were part of a circle as opposed to the buildings - is there a recognised theory as to whether there was a circle here?

Fernacre - after two attempts at finding this site - it still eludes me - can anyone help? Are there any stand out land marks? I keep getting snow blind as there are so many glacial deposits I have not found the circle....

And lastly - directed at the Eds really - have there been any discussions or threads on a TMA app?? Is that controversial? I got an iPhone app that has OS 1:25 map of Cornwall on it that was helpful but not as helpful as an actual endorsed official stone hunting app! Has it ever been discussed?

Thanks in advance for your help - it's good to post again, it's been ages!

Cheers
JS

Reply | with quote
jacksprat
Posted by jacksprat
5th August 2011ce
15:27

Messages in this topic: