The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cornwall Forum Start a topic | Search
Cornwall
Re: Cornish Holiday Advice Please!!
62 messages
Select a forum:
Gwass wrote:
I think I'm looking at Treverven campsite or Tower Park, both near the coast and walking distance from a pub (essential) in St Buryan.

I definitely will check out St Ives as it looks amazing. Some fish & chips by the sea is in order. Have you ever been to Newlyn as that looks quite close too. I think a trip to Padstein is also on tha agenda.

I looked at the Cornovia and Belerion books on Amazon after looking at the sites on here. Are they primarily gazeteers as it's a bit difficult to gauge from Amazon. I hadn't heard of the Ian McNeil Cooke books but will be getting onto those asap.

Thanks again for all the advice, I'm compiling a list of stones and beaches as we speak.

Treverven has its very own standing stone.

Fish and chips by sea in St Ives = watch out for the seagulls, they are bolder and more vicious than most anywhere else (same goes for ice cream, pasties, etc, they'll happily attack the unwary for food).

Newlyn is a proper working fishing port. We went to a nice pub there once. Not a lot to see otherwise though. If you're in that area there's Lamorna Cove, which you can walk down to from Merry Maidens.

Both Belerion and Cornovia are primarily gazeteers, with some very decent plans of some of the sites.

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
15th July 2011ce
17:25

Messages in this topic: