The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Moel Faban, Carneddau Forum Start a topic | Search
3 messages
Select a forum:
Hiya. I've been quite excited this weekend because I think I may have found a saddle quern up on Moel Faban.

I have checked and I can't find it listed anywhere and it isn't mentioned in Frances Lynches " A guide to ancient and historical Wales: Gwynedd"

Frances gives a comprehensive description of the field and hut system on the Eastern slope of Moel Faban as well as the burnt mound and peat stacks, but no mention of this "saddle Quern".

Anyway I may be wrong, I probably am as I am no archeologist and I'm a bad amateur. I often miss things that are right in front of me. But recently I have been looking more closely at rocks and boulders with the hope of coming across some kind of rock art and that is when I saw this one.

The weather has been really bad since I saw it, and so I haven't been able to go back up there with the camera. I'm going up later today and will take some pics, that is if I still think it might be one and wasn't just wishful thinking.
Is there somewhere I can post the pic for people to take a look and give me their opinion on whether it is a saddle quern or not?

It is in an area with a lot of settlement, many round houses, the burnt mound and the "arrow stone" all near by.

Many thanks
Bloss

Reply | with quote
blossom
Posted by blossom
22nd May 2011ce
12:37

1 reply:

Re: saddle quern (wideford)

Messages in this topic: