The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: A clean slate? (or should that be granite?)
156 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
StoneGloves wrote:
Yes, that last photograph supports what I was suggesting was the method that was used to place the cap. The shallow socket would have located the big stone as it was swung around. A monumental feat. Nice to see the workings out. It's certainly moving...

This is the last pic I will show as to 'reveal all' just defeats the object of writing about it with a view to publishing. Here is a clearer view (and I have better ones) showing the knib again. We are on the same wavelength here SG as that is my belief also. If a shallow socket as described was made and the knib used as an aid to line up the capstone, then that would explain why the capstone at that point has broken away underneath as clearly seen from underneath the 'hole'. This would have happened as the sheer weight of the cap began to slip. No mystery attached, pure old-fashioned common sense!

http://i26.servimg.com/u/f26/16/16/85/69/s8002311.jpg

Interesting pics Roy . Tatjana Kytmannow makes the interesting point that Trethevy and Harristown are the only surviving portal tombs with with very high portal stones that have not collapsed .

I was trying not to go to deeply into it at this stage George because of publication but to be honest I was getting fed up with this misbelief that it had never moved. You've seen some of the other stuff I have which I feel backs up my belief...in fact I don't why I say it's a belief, IT HAS MOVED and I know because of my own measurements it has moved again since last year. Since the day the 'mortice' was torn off from under the capstone it has allowed it to move and the closure move out. In time it will go the same way as the others.

So what is this other stuff you feel backs up your belief that it has moved? You mention a 'mortice' - is this just something you think there may have been or do you have anything to back it up? Our own findings seem to have been ridiculed by one or two of you so far, so how about you now give us an opportunity to demonstrate our ability to listen respectfully to what others have to say?
I must point out that it appears we may be approaching this subject from almost diametrically opposed positions, because we're working with what is still there, whilst you seem to be working with what no longer is. However, that certainly doesn't discount the possibility that somewhere inbetween there may be things common to both arguments.

Reply | with quote
stonefree
Posted by stonefree
6th May 2011ce
17:24

Messages in this topic: