The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: A clean slate? (or should that be granite?)
156 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
This is the last pic I will show as to 'reveal all' just defeats the object of writing about it with a view to publishing. Here is a clearer view (and I have better ones) showing the knib again. We are on the same wavelength here SG as that is my belief also. If a shallow socket as described was made and the knib used as an aid to line up the capstone, then that would explain why the capstone at that point has broken away underneath as clearly seen from underneath the 'hole'. This would have happened as the sheer weight of the cap began to slip. No mystery attached, pure old-fashioned common sense!

http://i26.servimg.com/u/f26/16/16/85/69/s8002311.jpg

Sanctuary,

I have to confess to having drifted off during the ever-lengthening series of Trethevy threads, so apologies for that. But this latest bit makes a lot of sense, so thanks for re-awakening my interest.

The ongoing shifting is pretty scary though. Be interesting to know how the people who are planning on re-erecting Carwynnen (spelling?) are planning on ensuring its stability.

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
6th May 2011ce
13:53

Messages in this topic: