The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: A clean slate? (or should that be granite?)
156 messages
Select a forum:
StoneGloves wrote:
Yes, that last photograph supports what I was suggesting was the method that was used to place the cap. The shallow socket would have located the big stone as it was swung around. A monumental feat. Nice to see the workings out. It's certainly moving...

This is the last pic I will show as to 'reveal all' just defeats the object of writing about it with a view to publishing. Here is a clearer view (and I have better ones) showing the knib again. We are on the same wavelength here SG as that is my belief also. If a shallow socket as described was made and the knib used as an aid to line up the capstone, then that would explain why the capstone at that point has broken away underneath as clearly seen from underneath the 'hole'. This would have happened as the sheer weight of the cap began to slip. No mystery attached, pure old-fashioned common sense!

http://i26.servimg.com/u/f26/16/16/85/69/s8002311.jpg

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
6th May 2011ce
11:25

Messages in this topic: