The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: A clean slate? (or should that be granite?)
156 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:
(Nigel, I was waiting in the queue at the cinema last night and I could hear two women next to me discussing their homeopathy tablets and even more gah-producing, kinesiology.

It's Friday, let's set Nigel off for the weekend! ;)
D'you reckon they were fox hunters?!

Mr Sanctuary, that's a good picture. It makes it clear you could only ever see the sun through the hole from an oblique angle, which means the shape - or even the existence - of 90% of the hole is totally irrelevant to any astronomical function doesn't it?

I would have thought so Nigel but I'm not really clued in to that stuff. 'Most' people are of the oinion that the whole shebang was covered over on completion which would make a nonsense of all of it anyway! I don't purposely wish to down other peoples research because I know how much time we all put into these things, but I just can't see any of this myself. It is an extremely old build showing serious signs of movement which is par for the course and can no way reflect on what it was like at birth!

Here's another pic of the capstone/closure stones showing the orthostat not even making contact with the capstone at this point. You will notice that the closure stone has a raised knib to it which when in position the capstone would have probably rested against indicated by the bevelled lower edge of the capstone. It clearly shows the capstone has slid away from its original position IMOO.
http://i26.servimg.com/u/f26/16/16/85/69/s8002310.jpg

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
6th May 2011ce
09:50

Messages in this topic: