The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: A clean slate? (or should that be granite?)
156 messages
Select a forum:
Horsedrawn wrote:
The short answer is yes. The rising sun lights the underside of Stone 8 (the capstone) through two apertures towards the East. One is bigger than the other, and I suspect this is due to an understanding of the Equation of Time. This subject is under study. The differences between the extremes; midwinter and midsummer, that is, how the 'daggers' of light play upon the capstone's underside, and other places, suggest strongly that the principles of the Equation of Time were understood and taken into account. I emphasise here that none of this is conclusive, but I would add that such things were understood well at the same time in Mesopotamia, so why not here?

David Kane.

Something that has always bugged me...nothing to do with the scientific applications although I daresay there is an equation to be made.....the time it would take to erect the structure...a variable no-one knows, then to get the alignment right means that it wouldn't be aligning to it's original design or purpose...(assuming we are correct in assuming it is for catching sun-rays + shadows) after this lapse of time....and of course we haven't taken into account bad weather/fog/rain etc where the sun is obscured...possibly for days. Does this indicate then that the structure would be built and the "hole" made afterwards to suit? Worth considering?

Reply | with quote
Posted by Resonox
3rd May 2011ce
18:58

Messages in this topic: