The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: A clean slate? (or should that be granite?)
156 messages
Select a forum:
Rhiannon wrote:
Also, do you think all structures like this have got similar non-tomb intentions? So if you went to, say, St Lythans (only because that's somewhere I've been) that to me looks superficially similar, would you expect to find the same clues to support your Trevethy theories? That would help your argument would it not.

You'll have to excuse me for not knowing exactly what clues you're talking about because the other thread got a bit too muddy.

I think you mentioned some photos you'd taken of how the light fell on particular parts of the stone. And how the stones were aligned with..

Specifics, that's what'll convince people a bit more. And comparisons with other places?

Thanks Rhiannon,
I don't think all similar structures had the same extent of astronomical functions, if they had any at all. Some were possibly just tombs.
Any open structure will have interplays of light and shade going on, but determining intent is crucial and at Trethevy it can be seen that various surface features have been 'worked' quite precisely for such purposes.

Here are two photographs, the first one taken 15 mins before 'local' noon and the second taken at exactly local noon (13.19 p.m. allowing for BST and 4.2 degrees west of Greenwich.) You can clearly see how the capstone shadow moves down to fold across the notch on stone 6 and then a 'needle' of light strikes out halfway down the main rear upright (stone 2) and starts to move upwards towards the cutout 'door'.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/img_fullsize/95729.jpg

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/img_fullsize/95728.jpg

Reply | with quote
stonefree
Posted by stonefree
2nd May 2011ce
12:48

Messages in this topic: