The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Sunday bus service to Avebury cut
41 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
Right, have unlocked this thread as I'm trusting that everyone is going to be polite to each other even if we don't agree, and that includes me.

This is an archaeology forum and not the place for political tub thumping - it is no secret however that I am a supporter of public transport and I do think the number of cars whizzing around is madness.
That aside I can fully understand the convenience of owning a car so in the interest of a balanced argument here is the report which appeared in the local newspaper today. The comments are very varied.
http://www.swindonadvertiser.c[...]mean_it_s_all_change_on_buses/

In the actual newspaper report it says in regard to the 49 bus that funding will be cut but the effect not yet known - which is slightly different to the information I received a last weekend. Whilst I fully appreciate it is not cost effective to run empty buses on a Sunday, it would be good a one or two ran to Devizes and back - as much for the sake of the people living in Devizes as anything. And in this day and age lots of people do work on a Sunday (NT restaurant for example).

Best wishes to all - please excuse me for being a 'bit touchy' - its just my dear mother has come to the end of her journey and I have been visiting the local hospital almost everyday since March. Fortunately there is a very good bus service and it hasn't been cut.

I hope that doesn't mean what I think it means about your mother June. If it does then I'm truly sorry and offer you my sincere condolences.
Roy

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
28th April 2011ce
17:19

Messages in this topic: