I would have thought the national trust might be prepared to help. Its in their interest to get people there after all.
The bus that is being cut is the service that connects Swindon and Devizes on a Sunday - Aveury just happens to be about mid way. I don't see why the National Trust would subsidize this service, after all they rake a lot of money in from the car park. Devizes doesn't have a train station any more so unless there is a Sunday bus from Chippenham anyone travelling back to Devizes by train on a Sunday will be stuck - or have to pay £30/£40 for a taxi. The same goes for Devizes' younger population, some of whom come into Swindon on a Saturday for clubs etc and return the next day. Its not just
about travelling to Avebury though I have to say some of my best times out there have been when I've caught the early bus on a Sunday morning and had the place to myself for an hour or so. I can live with it of course, and may be leaving the area anyway in the not too distant future. Its worth remembering people did nothing when the all the little sub stations and railway lines closed down back in the days of Beecham; we are much the poorer for it - cutting Sunday bus services is a very backward step.
I don't think the X5 Service goes through Avebury anymore as am sure I read that it now incorporates one of the routes from Swindon to Marlborough - which would by-pass Avebury.
PS: Thanks for your wonderful rant tsc, I had a feeling you wouldn't be happy.
Maybe a forward thinking private company may take over the service during the summer months June to see if it is viable. The huge influx of visitors to the henge may be very attractive to them. Would it be worth contacting one of them if you know of any? They could of course make there own route up to their best advantage.
Reply | with quote
|Posted by Sanctuary|
24th April 2011ce
Sunday bus service to Avebury cut (tjj, Apr 22, 2011, 21:03)
- Re: Calling Heritage Action ! (tjj, Apr 22, 2011, 22:09)
- Re: Sunday bus service to Avebury cut (tjj, Apr 23, 2011, 07:28)
- Re: Sunday bus service to Avebury cut (supercat, Apr 23, 2011, 09:27)
- Re: Wilts & Dorset X5 Service (tjj, Apr 24, 2011, 11:04)
- Re: Sunday bus service to Avebury cut (thesweetcheat, Apr 24, 2011, 13:35)
- Re: Sunday bus service to Avebury cut (tjj, Apr 28, 2011, 16:54)
- Making complaints (head-first, Apr 29, 2011, 23:34)
- Re: Sunday bus service to Avebury cut (tjj, May 05, 2011, 17:27)