The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Wilts & Dorset X5 Service
41 messages
Select a forum:
juamei wrote:
I would have thought the national trust might be prepared to help. Its in their interest to get people there after all.

The bus that is being cut is the service that connects Swindon and Devizes on a Sunday - Aveury just happens to be about mid way. I don't see why the National Trust would subsidize this service, after all they rake a lot of money in from the car park. Devizes doesn't have a train station any more so unless there is a Sunday bus from Chippenham anyone travelling back to Devizes by train on a Sunday will be stuck - or have to pay £30/£40 for a taxi. The same goes for Devizes' younger population, some of whom come into Swindon on a Saturday for clubs etc and return the next day. Its not just about travelling to Avebury though I have to say some of my best times out there have been when I've caught the early bus on a Sunday morning and had the place to myself for an hour or so. I can live with it of course, and may be leaving the area anyway in the not too distant future. Its worth remembering people did nothing when the all the little sub stations and railway lines closed down back in the days of Beecham; we are much the poorer for it - cutting Sunday bus services is a very backward step.

Note:
I don't think the X5 Service goes through Avebury anymore as am sure I read that it now incorporates one of the routes from Swindon to Marlborough - which would by-pass Avebury.

PS: Thanks for your wonderful rant tsc, I had a feeling you wouldn't be happy.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
24th April 2011ce
18:05

In reply to:

Re: Wilts & Dorset X5 Service (juamei)

Messages in this topic: