|Here is a copy of the relevant Q&A Session - I have deleted the information about cuts to other routes. |
20th April 2011
Public Question Time
A page on the Stagecoach West website, summarising recent changes to bus services in the Swindon area, also states: "We regret that as a result of the total withdrawal of Swindon Borough Council funding for evening and Sunday bus services in Swindon that further changes will have to be introduced from Sunday 5 June 2011". (http://www.stagecoachbus.com/extuploads/leaflet_lowres.pdf)
1. Is it correct that the Council is withdrawing all funding support for evening and Sunday bus services?
2. When and by whom was this decision made?
3. Which routes does the Council expect to be affected by this decision?
4. Was any consultation carried out with bus service users before the decision was made?
5. What assessment has the Council made of the impact of reduction or removal of evening and Sunday bus services on the people who use those services?
The Cabinet Member for Sustainability, Strategic Planning, Property and Transport has responded:
Thank you for your questions.
1) Yes. Bus services in the Borough are operated on a commercial basis by Thamesdown Transport and Stagecoach. Evening and weekend services continue to be run by these two companies. Services funded through S106 developer contributions are not affected. In addition, other services funded by neighbouring local authorities that run into Swindon will be subject to their individual budget decisions.
2) The Council made the decision to reduce expenditure for supported bus services as part of its determination of the budget process for 2011/12. The Cabinet Member for Sustainability, Strategic Planning, Property and Transport considered the impact on individual service routes, The cost per passenger subsidy and low usage were key considerations in identifying where to reduce subsidy. The two main bus operators Stagecoach and Thamesdown Transport were also consulted.
3) The routes affected are shown in the attached table.
Sunday - (Whole) Stagecoach
49/71 Swindon, Wroughton,
and service Devizes/Marlborough (Sundays) Bank Holiday
4) The consultation was carried out with a ward member advisory group and the two main bus operators, Thamesdown Transport and Stagecoach. Parish /town councils in the Borough have been informed of the decision, Prior to this notification, the intention to reduce some bus services was included in the budget consultation document.
5) A diversity impact assessment was undertaken as part of the Council process. In making the decision and the need to reduce the budget, priority was given to retaining bus services that enable passengers to access education and employment establishments in the morning and evening peak and to enable daytime activities such as access to shops, particularly for rural areas.
Reply | with quote
|Posted by tjj|
22nd April 2011ce
Sunday bus service to Avebury cut (tjj, Apr 22, 2011, 21:03)
- Re: Calling Heritage Action ! (tjj, Apr 22, 2011, 22:09)
- Re: Sunday bus service to Avebury cut (tjj, Apr 23, 2011, 07:28)
- Re: Sunday bus service to Avebury cut (supercat, Apr 23, 2011, 09:27)
- Re: Wilts & Dorset X5 Service (tjj, Apr 24, 2011, 11:04)
- Re: Sunday bus service to Avebury cut (thesweetcheat, Apr 24, 2011, 13:35)
- Re: Sunday bus service to Avebury cut (tjj, Apr 28, 2011, 16:54)
- Making complaints (head-first, Apr 29, 2011, 23:34)
- Re: Sunday bus service to Avebury cut (tjj, May 05, 2011, 17:27)