The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Who's going to be there this weekend?
159 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:
I have always assumed, based on how I interpreted things, that our great ancestors went from a downright practical way of life to a more 'fanciful' way of thinking i.e. a belief in an Afterlife. This seems to me to have appeared more toward the middle to end of the Neolithic
Which then begs the question...Why this change in mindset?? Perhaps a catastrophe of some sort allowing for "holy men" to blame gods which must be appeased and in doing so you would share their eternal joy??? Or maybe I'm too pessimistic...perhaps it was a period of easy life and peace that got the need to "Thank" some mighty deity. After all is said and done was it just obsevations of life-cycles of the planet and man desiring to understand them and feeling excluded(through his own mortality) by nature just wanted to be a part of it all?

Reply | with quote
Posted by Resonox
2nd May 2011ce
11:59

Messages in this topic: