The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Who's going to be there this weekend?
159 messages
Select a forum:
stonefree wrote:

We hoped to dispel the myth that this structure was intended as nothing more than a tomb by showing that there was a far greater intelligence behind both the positioning and the construction.

To my mind it was built primarily as a tomb/burial chamber by people who were of normal intelligence for their time and built using the tools available in their time. It's positioning in the landscape was perfect for people who I believe had a belief in the Afterlife and respected their dead. The build (as it is now) is seriously open to question and that is something I am personally researching for my own purposes so make no definite claims yet just observations based on what I see. If in the fullness of time I feel what I am learning is worth publishing I will go ahead but in the meantime enjoying the research which is very enlightening. To base anything on what is there now could be a serious mistake!

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
2nd May 2011ce
09:35

Messages in this topic: