The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Who's going to be there this weekend?
159 messages
Select a forum:
wychburyman wrote:
tiompan wrote:
wychburyman wrote:
tiompan wrote:
stonefree wrote:
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
~ Albert Einstein

Einstein didn't say that .The original quote is not implying being "open minded " and "thinking outside the box " , which anyone with limited knowledge and intelligence is capable of , he was suggesting it was simply and importantly "a real factor in research " I doubt he even used the term intelligence . Such a stark telling reply to an accusation of being arrogant and patronising at least provides a laugh .

and what gives you the arrogance of knowing exactly what Einstein (or whomever) meant or implied?

Why am I being arrogant in understanding a simple statement from a collection of aphorisms .

maybe it's not about understanding, it's in the interpretation;
the arrogance is in believing you alone have the correct interpretation

It's hardly difficult or arrogant to come up the obvious interpretation and to see there is no mention of intelligence , which was part of the point .
Come up with the a different interpretation , I would probably disagree but am unlikely to describe yours as being arrogant . The initial calims of being patronising and arrogant were nothing to do with interpreations and rarely are .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
30th April 2011ce
10:42

Messages in this topic: