The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Who's going to be there this weekend?
159 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
wychburyman wrote:
tiompan wrote:
stonefree wrote:
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
~ Albert Einstein

Einstein didn't say that .The original quote is not implying being "open minded " and "thinking outside the box " , which anyone with limited knowledge and intelligence is capable of , he was suggesting it was simply and importantly "a real factor in research " I doubt he even used the term intelligence . Such a stark telling reply to an accusation of being arrogant and patronising at least provides a laugh .

and what gives you the arrogance of knowing exactly what Einstein (or whomever) meant or implied?

Why am I being arrogant in understanding a simple statement from a collection of aphorisms .

Two quotes in relation to imagination from Einstein , the first is the usual source of the misquote . Neither require much intelligence ,knowledge or arrogance to interpret .
"I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research."
Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97; also in Transformation : Arts, Communication, Environment (1950) by Harry Holtzman, p. 138

" I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. "
As quoted in "What Life Means to Einstein : An Interview by George Sylvester Viereck" in The Saturday Evening Post, Vol. 202 (26 October 1929), p. 117

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
30th April 2011ce
10:33

Messages in this topic: