The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Who's going to be there this weekend?
159 messages
Select a forum:
Mr Hamhead wrote:
This is all getting very silly...

Everybody has a right to an opinion...we will probably never know why the quoit was built..or why stone circles are built...or stone rows or Silbury...But we all have our own ideas or are happy to believe in what others say.

Having met Dave and Stone yesterday I am far from convinced but realize that there convictions are strong...and who am I to say they are wrong?

I am worried by Sanctuary's news that the stone is leaning...but again not convinced! People have been climbing on the quoit for millenia...I don't think we need to worry about it falling, I am more worried that if we start drawing attention to it that the land owner will close the field for fear of being responsible if anyone should be hurt.

Lets all settle down and beg to differ...the quoit ain't going knowhere...but I would like to be able to visit it in the future without railings around it.

Mr H

Hi Mr H. The stone is leaning you surely can't deny that as it's obvious, but was it always leaning and just got a bit worse is the real question? I doubt that but it will take further periodic measurements to determine that. As I said in an earlier post I wasn't trying to be alarmist, just pointing out a fact that I cannot hide from and don't wish to.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
25th April 2011ce
13:07

Messages in this topic: