The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Who's going to be there this weekend?
159 messages
Select a forum:
Horsedrawn wrote:
Excavate? Surely you jest. Its not my job to dig around ancient monuments. I am not an archeologist. What you suggest is vandalism; and I am surprised.
Your understanding of the engineering at the quoit is faulty. There is an excellent way of showing that Stone 9 has been in place since the thing was built, and that is it still plays its part in the equilibrium of the structure.You undermine your credibilty with what might be good ideas by only recently spotting something that has been there all along and the subject of intensive study. The structural theory behind this monument is no longer in doubt, and if you have been there many times and now say you only noticed Stone 9 recently then your ideas are not really of any consequence to the present inquiry. I thank you, however , for your interest. All grist to the mill.

David Kane.

I'm sorry but the arrogant and patronising way you come over on this forum is breathtaking and seemingly without bounds. i was being cynical of course when I asked if you'd excavated to prove that the front closure stone was not earthbound as you consider it not to be. This is not obvious (to me) so an exploritory pilot hole would have to be dug to prove this point either way. Do try to read what others are saying and consider other views rather than your own. You have dismissed all other points of view thus far and have proven none of your claims you initially opened with and I am not the first person to tell you this.
Of course I have seen the 'packing stone' many times before, one can hardly take photographs without seeing it so please don't try to score points with a rather silly argument. Like you I am researching Trethevy with a view to publishing but take my own route to get there which is based on what I can see for myself and not guess at. My only interest is in its construction and main purpose which is as a burial chamber and beyond not a Pandora's box of tricks.
It would be best if you go down your own route which seems a bit airy-fairy to me to be quite honest and I will stick to mine. Good luck with your research and publication which I'm sure will be interesting to read, but I leave it there without further comment.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
25th April 2011ce
12:01

Messages in this topic: