The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: OT: Government's attitude to green energy
80 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
tjj wrote:
jshell wrote:
You'll see much more of this from now on. Suddenly governments across Europe and America are staring to realise that the cost and effectiveness of renewables are not worth it, particularly combined with the economic crisis. There wil be a slow retreat from co2 emissions targets too as the realisation that natural variability in climate is far overwhelming man's effects - at least that's what the 'leaked' (believe that bollox if you lijke) next IPCC report will say.

..... Gas fired power stations will see us for the next hundred or so years...

And after 100 years then what? Oh I see, we won't be around so fuck it, who cares. Meee, little me, I care. I care because co2 emissions are accelerating the speed at which any natural climate changes are taking place; I care because I love this planet; I care because have children and now grandchildren - and although I'm unlikely to be around to see their children, I care about the sort of world they will be born into.

Every where I walk, I'm seeing solar panels on roofs - saw some on an outbuilding in Avebury village the other day - they don't interfere with anyone else personal 'space' so surely must be one of the ways forward, subsidies therefore should continue.

Right on. I agree with all of that June. I don't have kids but I still love this planet and don't want it trashed by people who only think in the short term and 100 years is the VERY short term.

Re the solar panels - there were a lot of get-rich-quick merchants involved when this first started (there's probably still some now) but generally this has been a positive and sensible scheme IMHO. The decision to cut the tarif will discourage a lot of people from signing up, as well as costing yet more jobs (in one of the few industries that has actually created any in the last 12 months).

I understood that we are currently in an Interglacial, though? That is waiting for the inevitable mile high glaciers to advance and destroy everything we know and have ever known in a few thousand years - once again. Or has the apparent 'global warming' meant that is not going to happen? If so, guess we are going to knock the Earth's natural cycles out of kilter. But is anyone really prepared to sacrifice life on earth to maintain the natural integrirty of the earth? Interesting point, but I'm with Nigel Lawson.... global warming data has been falsified for political gain and profit and doesn't reflect the true picture.

Reply | with quote
GLADMAN
Posted by GLADMAN
18th November 2011ce
23:48

Messages in this topic: