The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Wind farms in Scotland
80 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
I was talking about aesthetics rather than the technicalities of getting the power produced into the National Grid.

Aesthetics are out the window when it comes to the technicalities....unfortunately beauty(and history) will take a back seat . There would be no point at all in putting up windfarms/solar panels/wave turbines/hydro-electric dams without the wherewithal to use them.

tjj wrote:
That aside, with what is happening in Japan at present, the argument against nuclear energy is ever stronger; wind farms, hydro-electric schemes, solar panels, tide/wave schemes are the only viable alternative for the production of energy in the future. I guess we are going to have to work with Nature rather than against it.
All of the above would have been destroyed in the tragedy and caused havoc(arguably with less possibilty of radiaton contamination), the destruction of electricity cables and gas mains have been the major source of the fires. Tidal turbine floats for example, if they were built on the scale required, would have been washed inshore and smashed people and buildings adding to the destruction and death toll.
I seriously doubt anyone is working against nature, but even if they are nature, will destroy any and all efforts to work with it with an equal indiscrimination.
Some friends of mine in Japan have been in touch and are safe though at least two have lost relatives.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Resonox
14th March 2011ce
06:53

In reply to:

Re: Wind farms in Scotland (tjj)

Messages in this topic: