I believe "The Red Lion " at Avebury is on fire.......
As Moss reported - a chimney fire with much of the thatch around it destroyed; by water rather than fire I'd say. The firemen have pulled a large section of the thatch down, they were still there around 1.30pm when I went past on the bus going to Devizes (for the Jim Leary-Marden talk).
Can also report that more trees have been cut down on the left hand side of the road as you approach Avebury from the Swindon direction. The henge bank is now clearly visible from some distance away.
I noticed that last week.
Do you think it's so the people in the new houses get a better view ?
I don't think that, no. The plantation of trees on the other side of the mobile home park access road haven't been cut down. The people moving into those houses will have an excellent view of Windmill Hill though.
Reply | with quote
|Posted by tjj|
7th February 2011ce
Avebury Pub Fire...... (tomwatts, Feb 05, 2011, 13:52)
- Re: Avebury Pub Fire...... (moss, Feb 05, 2011, 14:03)
- Re: Avebury Pub Fire...... (jackyboy, Feb 05, 2011, 14:03)
- Re: Avebury Pub Fire...... (tjj, Feb 05, 2011, 18:46)
- Re: Avebury Pub Fire...... (tjj, Feb 08, 2011, 09:47)
- Re: Avebury Pub Fire...... (Littlestone, Feb 10, 2011, 20:27)