The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: A History of Ancient Britain
154 messages
Select a forum:
Squid Tempest wrote:
Just had a quick browse around the A History of Ancient Britain website. To my suprise, it appears they have inside knowledge as to how stone circles were built. Forget foam henge, stone rowing and all that...

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/his[...]sonhistory/ancients_circle.pdf

Now that you mention it ... I did drop by the Stonehenge Road Show at venue near me earlier today. Naturally aimed at children (half-term) it was a pleasure to observe. Yes, there was a 'life-size' inflatable trilithon (nothing to offend anyone though), a couple of people dressed in sheepskin and a display of artefacts - antler picks, fragments of bluestone and sarsen, flint tools and sarsen mauls. David Dawson, director of the Wiltshire Heritage Museum, was manning the display and encouraging the kids to touch and handle them.
I didn't stay too long but long enough to see a bunch of kids (one of them in a Superman outfit) pulling a large fake sarsen along on wooden rollers.
Great fun for them I should think.

I told DD I would give a little plug to the Ancient Briton Family Day to be held at the Wiltshire Heritage Museum, Devizes on Sunday 27th February from 11am (children free, adults £2).

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
23rd February 2011ce
15:44

In reply to:

Re: A History of Ancient Britain (Squid Tempest)

1 reply:

Re: A History of Ancient Britain (Squid Tempest)

Messages in this topic: