The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: A History of Ancient Britain
154 messages
Select a forum:
Howburn Digger wrote:
Gwass wrote:
[quote="CARL"] I can imagine a v boring final episode charting roman britain and the contrast between England and Wales and the lucky Scots & Irish who weren't so aflicted.

The area we now call Scotland was terribly afflicted by the Roman Empire and was subjected to nearly three centuries of Roman Invasions, campaigns and military occupation. All of Scotland's many roman remains are of a military nature (ie. no public bathouses, circuses, villas or temples). The Gask Ridge Frontier which runs from Braco to Perth formed the earliest known Roman military frontier in the world was built around around AD 79. A massive Legionary fortress was built a few years later at Inchtuthill near Meikleour by Agricola following the decisive battle of Mons Graupius. Campaigns continued throughout the time of the Antonine Wall in the 2nd Century. Septimus Severus later built a huge new base at Carpow near Newburgh further down the Tay to run punishing campaigns in the North East in ther early 3rd century.
England and Wales were only afflicted for a few years until they all started wearing togas, building villas and sitting around in bathhouses singing "'decem urnae pendent ex muro".

I didn't know all of the details you listed though so thanks for that.

Yeah I know that Scotland wasn't untouched but it was never groverned by the Romans and retained it's culture. I'm quite interested in the resistance so it's the

"until they all started wearing togas, building villas and sitting around in bathhouses singing "'decem urnae pendent ex muro""

That I meant by being afflicted!

Reply | with quote
Posted by Gwass
23rd February 2011ce
15:29

In reply to:

Re: A History of Ancient Britain (Howburn Digger)

1 reply:

Re: A History of Ancient Britain (Howburn Digger)

Messages in this topic: