The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Savages and howling barbarians...
29 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:
According to Mike Pitts in the British Archaeology Magazine (Jan-Feb 2008) the poem left inside Silbury on 25 September 1849 has a comma at the end of line six. In line fourteen, jealous Savage is used. Ditto both points in the version printed in the Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine of 1854. Volume 1, pp 302 (although ‘savage’ is spelt with a lower case ‘s’ there).

I needed to get my magnifying glass out to look at the photo of Emmie’s poem in the BritArch Mag but I think you’re right – there seems to be no comma at the end of line six. The ‘j’ or ‘z’ of jeaous or zelous is too indistinct in the photo to say which it is (though zealous perhaps would make more sense).

As you say, zealous does make more sense. Virginia Zimmerman'd transcription features on page 187 of The Story of Silbury Hill by Jim Leary and Dave Field (2010), although sadly it is amongst the footnotes.

Reply | with quote
VBB
Posted by VBB
13th January 2011ce
18:34

In reply to:

Re: Savages and howling barbarians... (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: