The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Savages and howling barbarians...
29 messages
Select a forum:
Sanctuary wrote:

When I was a member of the Southampton based group WATSUP (Wessex Association for The Study of Unexplained Phenomena) I had the great honour as a young man of meeting and speaking to Professor Atkinson on a field trip we made to Avebury and he presented me with a drawing he scrawled out on a piece of paper of the construction of Silbury Hill as he saw it during his excavation.

To speak to he was most humerous and witty. I also remember him saying the builders of Silbury would have 'stank' as there was no deoderant in those days.
This is his obituary
http://www.independent.co.uk/n[...]-richard-atkinson-1443428.html

For what it is worth I think he was a great man of his time.

Atkinson though committed the great crime of not publishing the results of his excavations, on two very important sites, namely Stonehenge and Silbury, for which he has been lambasted by archaeologists such as Mike Pitts, even in the obituary, Aldhouse-Green says....

"and with many important excavations unpublished - Atkinson turned his great energies from practical archaeology to administration."

The only book Atkinson published on Stonehenge was a populist book for easy reading.

Reply | with quote
moss
Posted by moss
13th January 2011ce
10:50

Messages in this topic: