The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trefael Forum Start a topic | Search
Trefael
Re: Trefael..more may and maybe's
37 messages
Select a forum:
George Nash wrote:
Hi Roy,
The report should be ready soon and will send you over a PDF copy. Concerning your colleague’s scepticism, a prominent barrow cemetery does stand around 2.5 km to the north but they don't have to be in direct view with Trefael. It could be the case that during the Bronze Age, Trefael and other standing stones (associated with the barrows/cairns) interacted with each other and only the nearest standing stone to the barrow cemetery was intervisible (see Children & Nash 2001 [research in Breconshire]). I will say that your mate Tiompan is a tad curt with his responses. When dealing with archaeology, there are number of approaches one can make. The first and most useful is the report which is usually very flat, banal but informative. However, we are dealing with people but many archaeologists still focus on artefacts. In prehistory, ‘if we don’t have a go’, the subject is dehumanised flat and...guess what...banal. To play safe, I will still use 'maybe'. Like I said earlier, you should have been there. We will be probably excavating/investigating here in June/July 2011 and you are of course welcome to come along and have a look. GHN

Thank you kindly George I look forward to receiving it. I don't know the site personally just picking up the report as I was browsing. Yes I would like to come along and have a look come next year. Maybe you would be kind enough to keep me in the picture.
In defence of tiompan (another George) I would say that I'm sure he never meant to come across as being curt as I have always found him to be very courteous but like myself and of course yourself, he is very focused and takes things seriously and makes no claims unless 100% satisfied he can confirm things. And I'm delighted to hear that you are always prepared to 'have a go' so that the subject matter is kept alive as by doing so it stays so much more interesting and leaves things somewhat open for others to also consider.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
7th December 2010ce
15:25

In reply to:

Re: Trefael..more may and maybe's (George Nash)

Messages in this topic: