The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Rillaton Barrow Forum Start a topic | Search
Rillaton Barrow
Re: Rillaton Moor...Mr Hamhead
8 messages
Select a forum:
Mr Hamhead wrote:
I promise to pay attention for a while...

Calling Mr Hamhead...
When last at Minions and walking from the Hurlers to Rillaton Barrow, midway between the two there is a row of pits about 6ft deep and small mounds that run east to west. Much of what is visible looks like the craters of the moon (you'll know what I mean) but are in the main, I believe, the result of mine workings back in the past.
Amongst this carnage however is a somewhat larger mound just to the right of the track that appears to have what I am taking to be a 'cairn' about 10ft in diameter and about 4ft high on the top of it. On a first 'filming' visit to Rillaton I had a casual look at this 'cairn' and got the impression that it had been damaged by stock (horses/sheep/cattle) and was now being used for the sheep to shelter against. However after looking closely at the photographs taken, it now looks more likely that is has been purposely dug out and a susequent visit has made my mind up that this is/was the case. It has been completely cut in two and one side completely demolished. The structure is of a soil mound purposely covered with granite stones tied in neatly to each other. The initial or core of the mound is a much darker soil capped with a lighter type then covered with the stone. The stone from the destroyed half is lying alongside of it and now quickly becoming part of the terrain and becoming 'grown in'. Due to animals still scraping out the face of what is left and bedding down against it, it still looks freshly dug. Viewed from the rear of the remains the stone covering is still very evident and wondered if you have seen this on one of your guided trips in the area and what you made of it?

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
2nd December 2010ce
12:21

In reply to:

Re: Rillaton Moor (Mr Hamhead)

Messages in this topic: