The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Rillaton Barrow Forum Start a topic | Search
Rillaton Barrow
Re: Rillaton Moor
8 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Seeing it was such a beautiful day down here in Cornwall I went up to Minions on Bodmin Moor yesterday and tramped up to Stowe's Hill via Rillaton Barrow. It was while I was filming the barrow with my camcorder with Stowe's and the Cheesewring as a backdrop that I began to wonder if the natural stone formations on the edge of Stowe's held any form of significance to the belief's of the Neolithic and Bronze Aged builders at that time and being one of the reasons that so much has gone on there in the past? Although it was 3-4000+ years ago I guess much of the Cheesewring was as it is now as it would have taken 100's of thousands of years (I guess) for the climatic conditions to expose it as it is seen today.

It was a stunning day yesterday wasn't it (if gift from the gods ... if I believed in them). I've never seen the Cheesewring, only photos - it is spectacular, a phenomenon. I came across the Devil's Chimney while out walking with a group earlier in the year. Someone said it was left over from quarrying but it seemed much older than that - what do I know?.

An interesting subject Sanctuary ... and thanks, you've been keeping this forum going recently by starting topics which meander off into some interesting 'mind'-scapes.

An interesting piece about the Devil's Chimney here June although nobody seems to know whether is was natually formed or something quarrymen left behind intentionally. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_Chimney
Whatever, it looks quite precariously balanced doesn't it!! When I was in Iceland during the Cod War crossing from the south to Akureyri on the northern coast with 23 other adventure seekers with a firm called Venture Trek we went to this massive gorge in the middle of nowhere which had a similar very spindly but lava type natural arrangement which was REALLY precarious. I'm afraid to say that the British contingent thought the same and that it would look better in the bottom of the gorge, much to the disgust of my young self and the remaining party. Yes, the loutish behaviour we have become known for abroad was alive and well in those days as well I'm afraid.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
12th November 2010ce
11:16

In reply to:

Re: Rillaton Moor (tjj)

1 reply:

Re: Rillaton Moor (tjj)

Messages in this topic: