The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Re: Is it possible to contract a geophysics survey?
50 messages
Select a forum:
Chris Collyer wrote:
Creyr wrote:
My dream today is to somehow get the whole community involved in a Michael Wood style uncover your heritage type project

On the subject of Wood, in his 'Story of England' on BBC2 tonight at 9pm he has a magnetometer survey done and I got the impression that it was carried out by a local archaeolocial group staffed mainly by volunteers (he mentiones that a lot of it was done after work and at weekends). Your best bet might be to find a group that is fairly local that has access to such equipment and try and get them interested in surveying the area, in which case it may be done for free (or at least for the price of supplying them with beer!)

-Chris

Just following on from what Chris said;

If you do locate any local groups that have geophys equipment, find out whether it was purchased through HLF funding. If it was, their agreement will probably state that other groups should be allowed access to it – not that all advertise this though. As I understand it, they can charge for time involved in training, carrying out the survey, interpretation, data cleaning etc, but not for physically borrowing the equipment (or they shouldn’t). I think you’ll also need to approach as part of a group, rather than as an individual.

Defo might be worth contacting HLF to see if they can advise.

Reply | with quote
Rockrich
Posted by Rockrich
30th September 2010ce
12:47

Messages in this topic: