The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   East Yorkshire Forum Start a topic | Search
East Yorkshire
Re: Kiplings Cotes
26 messages
Select a forum:
He's great, I can't imagine the work he must have done collecting all that folklore without the simplicity of sitting on the sofa faffing about on the internet, let alone tramping the countryside after all those hundreds of barrows. There's a great photo of him lying in a cist somewhere, that's in some book dedicated to him (I can't remember what offhand). They used to have the folklore book in the central library years back and then it disappeared, I went to the desk to ask and they said that he'd often come in the library to work! So I felt like I was treading in the footsteps of the great man himself.

Have you checked the magic map for your barrows, moss?

I went to a talk at a firm that makes wind turbines and even by their account it takes many years to narrow down a place that they can be put, and then there's all the planning rounds to go through - it sounded surprising that any ever get put up. I must admit I'm a fan and all signed up to ecotricity, and I love how they look, although I know how people get het up when they get put on their long-loved landscapes. It's difficult isn't it. I can't bring myself to love nuclear when it takes 100s of years of decommisioning (and How much subsidy). I rather like those turbines off the coast. Anyway, waffling now. But you never know, your turbines might not happen?

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
13th August 2010ce
11:45

In reply to:

Re: Kiplings Cotes (thesweetcheat)

1 reply:

Re: Kiplings Cotes (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: