The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   East Yorkshire Forum Start a topic | Search
East Yorkshire
Re: Kiplings Cotes
26 messages
Select a forum:
moss wrote:
Thats very sweet of TSC ;), enormous amount of information there and interesting even if I was'nt worrying about wind turbines. I figured the 'race track' was an old green road because it ran past the barrows in a very roman/bronze age manner. ....

Will check out Canon Greenwell, Grinsell was a Bristol man into spelaeological?? society there, Rhiannon must know of his work... though he's been dead quite a few years now...

You're very welcome - at home today awaiting a delivery and research sharpens the mind after all, especially using good old papery books...

The Race Course is a race course, but not a conventional one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiplingcotes_Derby

Grinsell - Leslie Grinsell was one of the great 20th century authorities on barrows, he visited hundreds (all pre-TMA even!) and recorded what he found faithfully. He also wrote a nice book on the folklore of prehistoric sites, which I'm sure Rhiannon will know.

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
13th August 2010ce
11:15

In reply to:

Re: Kiplings Cotes (moss)

2 replies:

Re: Kiplings Cotes (Rhiannon)
Grinsell (juamei)

Messages in this topic: