The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Trevethy Quoit
107 messages
Select a forum:
Mr Hamhead wrote:

As for it's construction and the lack of soil around the bottom of the stones. Could this not be the result of 6000 years of 'archaeologists' digging and scratching at it? If it still stands now did it need very much more in the way of foundations originally?

It would be great to make a wooden model of all the stones and then rearrange them to see if it makes any difference. I don't see how it could...we would still have two uprights much taller than the other four....and unless the capstone was originally at 90 degrees to what it is now then it still would not balance.

Somewhere in this meandering list of postings there was a comment that the stones stand on bedrock. If this is the case....was the Quoit originally situated on a bare hillside or are we back to the theory that the surrounding ground, earth and stone has been taken away?

I can't recall where I read it now Mr H but someone came up with the idea that the stones had been dropped into previously dug holes down to the bedrock, the capstone placed on the top and then the soil removed and used to create the oval bank 130ft x 60ft spoken of by Thomas but now ploughed out. Henwood 2007 says that the greater depth of earth in this location facilitated the construction of the ramp and covering mound and this would not have been available on the shallower soil of the granite uplands.

My current project (which I mentioned the last time we were discussing Trethevy on the forum) is doing exactly what you are suggesting only in card form. I am drawing out each orthostat to scale as best I can as time allows and making an allowance for the depth into the soil, then will be mixing and matching them to see what I come up with. I'm not holding my breath but it looks promising (to me anyway!!). Without a shadow of a doubt though the fallen stone is the 'ni**er in the woodpile' in all of this. If it was not part of the original structure then what is it doing there? Your idea that it fell in when the capstone was erected is good but I can't see how they would not have supported it internally to prevent that from happening in the first place. On saying that it's not exactly something that you can just pick up and toss inside afterwards is it either!!

I would imagine that it still stands because once it was up the soil internally and externally was removed to the more or less level it is now which is enough to station it. It has to be stationed solidly because I can't see how the capstone can be 'balanced' because of its sheer weight forcing it not only downwards but endways! If the capstone was smooth-bottomed it would have slipped off by now but it isn't and that's something else I am looking at closely. I've said it before but what a little gem we have in Cornwall.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
22nd April 2011ce
09:03

In reply to:

Re: Trevethy Quoit (Mr Hamhead)

1 reply:

Re: Trevethy Quoit (Horsedrawn)

Messages in this topic: