The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Trevethy Quoit
107 messages
Select a forum:
The oldest mention I can find of the Quoit is in Norden's Atlas of Cornwall published in 1650. The etching does not show the fallen stone either but I believe we have to accept it was there and had by this time fallen.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/11/trethevy_quoit.html

It is interesting to note that neither Carew in his history of Cornwall in 1602 and William Borlase in his Antiquities of Cornwall both never mentioned the Quoit. Borlase writes about Quoits and has illustrations of Lanyon and Zennor but nothing about Trethevy...in fact he spends more time and page space on Kit's Coty in Kent http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/62/kits_coty.html

In none of the early texts that mention the Quoit is there any reference to it being rebuilt. I am sure that if it had been, even as early as the 15th century, then it would have been noted somewhere or handed down as folklore.

As for it's construction and the lack of soil around the bottom of the stones. Could this not be the result of 6000 years of 'archaeologists' digging and scratching at it? If it still stands now did it need very much more in the way of foundations originally?

It would be great to make a wooden model of all the stones and then rearrange them to see if it makes any difference. I don't see how it could...we would still have two uprights much taller than the other four....and unless the capstone was originally at 90 degrees to what it is now then it still would not balance.

Somewhere in this meandering list of postings there was a comment that the stones stand on bedrock. If this is the case....was the Quoit originally situated on a bare hillside or are we back to the theory that the surrounding ground, earth and stone has been taken away?

So many questions....so many puzzles....

Reply | with quote
Mr Hamhead
Posted by Mr Hamhead
22nd April 2011ce
08:12

In reply to:

Re: Trevethy Quoit (Sanctuary)

1 reply:

Re: Trevethy Quoit (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: