The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Trevethy Quoit
107 messages
Select a forum:
Oh blimey! Firstly, how welcome this debate is.
I dispute nothing about the history of archeology and its nomenclature. Without it we would be in a sorry state. I came equipped with the archeology and added the astronomy. What has happened is that the thing has revealed itself as some sort of observatory/planetarium/sundial/town hall clock (hence 'Solar Construct') of some sophistication, and continues to do so. The evidence gathered so far is compelling. I do not come on here making these claims lightly, but we have to start somewhere, and it would seem that some interest has been raised.
I am grateful. I feel as if I have laid an egg. I cannot and do not dismiss the archeology, but the whole idea of tombs does begin to become less relevant, though never out of mind, I assure you. I dismiss nothing. I am fascinated to hear what anybody has to say about the thing. When these effects first started to be noticed I did not believe any of it. I was applying Professor North's 'General Method', looking for alignments etc. and doing positional astronomy, all of which I have done at many places, and of necessity has to be done, when other possible usages began to reveal themselves. Since then I have become convinced, and stand back in wonderment at what we have found. It is not my job to convince others, necessarily, but I will try, in the interest of advancing knowledge of the wonderful astronomical and engineering skills of the people who built it. It still works. It tracks the sunrise at the solstices, the equinoxes, and the transit of the sun at noon. It can be used to observe the solar corona, and it tracks winter and equinoctical sunsets, and that's not all. Now, as I say, for a long while I simply could not believe what I was seeing and we are a long long way from where we began. Trethevy Quoit has started to speak; and it speaks in the language of mathematics. Newgrange is called the 'oldest astronomically aligned' structure in the world. Perhaps no longer. I stick to what I say. The evidence now is overwhelming.
Merry Christmas

David Kane

Reply | with quote
Horsedrawn
Posted by Horsedrawn
21st April 2011ce
22:24

In reply to:

Re: Trevethy Quoit (tiompan)

Messages in this topic: