The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Trevethy Quoit
107 messages
Select a forum:
stonefree wrote:
I concur. I am an enthusiatic, passionate, intuitive and open-minded explorer of the unknown, but rather ignorant in matters of astronomy, archaeology and the neolithic era. However, I do believe there to be an excessive amount of doggedly sticking to the nomenclature of 'tombs' when there seems to be no evidence whatsoever to support such a description other than a vague similarity to other 'tombs'. Likewise the claims of this structure having been either covered or constructed using a mound or cairn, either to make the tomb claims sound more feasible or to facilitate positioning of the capstone and orthostats.

That is quite different from what you said earlier i.e. “The assumption that this is a 'Portal Tomb' is equally illogical, being based on pure speculation, just because of slight similarities to other structures!”

As a monumental type , Portal Tombs , which Trethevy is obviously one as it bears all the hall marks and they are clearly not “slight similarities to other structures “ . As I mentioned earlier “Have a look at any reasonable description of the characteristics of a portal tomb and you will find that Trethevy is a perfectly logical ideal candidate in it's morphology as well as belonging to the iconic monument type of Cornwall .” points , which you didn’t respond to .
Due to the architecture these monuments have been easily disturbed particularly from animals and humans who have taken the internal deposits and external cairn material .
Many have survived disturbance and those that have show that human bone inhumed and cremated was a common deposit ,e.g. Poulnabrone had a minimum of 26 interred individuals . Of the nearby monuments of the same type , Zennor had bone deposits and Borlase had a drawing of an obvious mound ,Sperris had cremations , Mulfra vestiges of a mound .

Stone circles are not always circular , Hill Forts are not necessarily defensive , Rock Art is not necessarily “art “ if Portal Tombs are not tombs they are pretty close but more importantly that is what they called . It may not be ideal but it is a more appropriate and descriptive than “Solar construct “ .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
21st April 2011ce
17:23

In reply to:

Re: Trevethy Quoit (stonefree)

2 replies:

Re: Trevethy Quoit (stonefree)
Re: Trevethy Quoit (Horsedrawn)

Messages in this topic: