The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Trevethy Quoit
107 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
Horsedrawn wrote:
Foggy and Compo are in an axe-shaped (!) field .87 kilometres from the Quoit on a bearing of 295 degrees. Their position is 50.27.47N 4.27.59W.
I proceed on the understanding that they are modern rubbing posts due to the drill marks on Foggy, but their shape and relation to the quoit continue to fascinate. They do not form part of the present astronomical survey.
However I do not dismiss them entirely; they took me long enough to find!
Apologies for any confusion. I will endeavour to be more clear in future.

David Kane.

These are the ones I thought from your original pic and in the reply I mentioned that the orientation is close very to Samhain and Imbolc sun rise being about 3-4 days out . If ,as is likely ,that these stones are not prehistoric then this is a good example of finding astronomical alignments that are actually meaningless .Just because something appears to be aligned on a Thom paradigm event doesn't mean it was intended by the builders , obvious in this case but also arguably even cases of monuments that are contemporaneous .

I seem to have missed that pic, what post was it in as I can't find it?
Cheers, Roy

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
21st April 2011ce
15:17

In reply to:

Re: Trevethy Quoit (tiompan)

2 replies:

Re: Trevethy Quoit (tiompan)
Re: Trevethy Quoit (Horsedrawn)

Messages in this topic: