The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Trevethy Quoit
107 messages
Select a forum:
I have been reading all the recent posts with interest. It's always interesting to hear new ideas about things that I feel are so old there is no way we can or will ever know what there original use was.

With Trevethy I am sure I have posted by thoughts on it before somewhere. I feel it was a tomb, it was covered and all the stones are still in their original position. I believe that the western stone collapsed when the cap stone was being pulled into place.

As for the hole...it is not modern..but neither is it natural. If it had been caused by erosion then you would expect there to be a large eroded basin on the top surface surrounding the hole. I found a hole in a rock on top of Bearah Tor recently which had been formed after the rock basin had eroded right through the granite. By the way, the sun also shone through this hole and it's light on the rocks below caused shadows to move.

Knights etching of 1845 shows the Quoit as it is now...all be it surrounded by midget sheep!. I think that if it had been re-erected it would have been done by the Victorians..which it wasn't.

I am no scholar of ancient text but to say that a shape seen on one of the stones is slighty similar to the Sumarian 60 is pretty thin evidence is it not. We are not exactly talking complex rock art here are we?

The two stones I first pointed out near Tremar about six years ago it seems are modern. The new photos show drill marks which only started being used after 1800. The theory that the two stones might have been one and then cut in half I am not sure about. With all the other stones lying around, why cut one into two bits. I think it more likely that the stones have been placed there in the last 200 years.

My last thoughts....If the quoit is not a tomb and if it is a structure used for sun or moon alignments then which era are we looking at? We think of it as Neolithic because that is when the portal dolmens are said to have been used. Surely to work out alignments we need to know the date as things have changed? I don't know much about this topic but from research I have done on other alignments on Bodmin Moor I know that sun rises/settings have changed over the years

As I always say to people I talk to about any prehistoric site....I can only give them ideas about what the site was used for....they may have other ideas.....we will, i believe, never know the truth.

Reply | with quote
Mr Hamhead
Posted by Mr Hamhead
20th April 2011ce
22:23

In reply to:

Re: Trevethy Quoit (stonefree)

6 replies:

Re: Trevethy Quoit (Sanctuary)
Re: Trevethy Quoit (tiompan)
Re: Trevethy Quoit (tiompan)
Re: Trevethy Quoit (Littlestone)