The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Trevethy Quoit
107 messages
Select a forum:
Horsedrawn wrote:
I will join you there one day soon, obviously.
I take issue with nothing you say about stone 7. It really is anyone's guess exactly how it stood. I have my own opinion, and that is it had no structural function, but of course I'm not certain. Stone 6, to the NE, has no structural function; it barely touches its neighbours, and i suspect that stone 7, when upright, barely kissed the capstone. As to cynicism, its all right as long as you don't make a virtue out of it. Earthbound is a lovely word. These stones are not earthbound. The underneath of stone 3 can be seen. There is little topsoil. The whole thing sits, chocked up, on the bedrock. Stone 8, the capstone, rests on four tiny points of contact and has not moved since it was put in place. There can be no doubt about this. First thoughts on the astounding balancing act going on here were borne out by the consulting engineer on structural theory. The "stiff frame" formed by stones 1,2+3 carries the weight of the capstone to the ground where the stresses, dissipated, alight, as a bird. The weight of the capstone keeping it in place. It is poised upon the bedrock in perfect equilibrium, and this is why it stands today. Quite apart from any astronomical considerations this is a staggering feat of engineering. The people who built this thing were some smart cookies.
I harbour no resentment at the suggestion I might claim things to fit my theories but with respect I will say we are far too far down the road to dally with such thoughts.
Thanks again for your interest.

David Kane.

Good luck with it all. I'm at the quoit quite often so may well see you there.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
19th April 2011ce
21:22

In reply to:

Re: Trevethy Quoit (Horsedrawn)

Messages in this topic: