The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Trevethy Quoit
107 messages
Select a forum:
Horsedrawn wrote:
The structure has multiple usages. It is used from inside; when the sun is up the play of light on the worked surfaces. On the outside it casts shadows upon itself.
At night the moon does a similar thing and the stars are observed through the north and south 'windows'. From the north the tiny gap between the cap and its supports gives a slot which the stars transit. From a distance the quoit is skylined and therefore eclipses the rising sun. The hole in the capstone is used for direct observation of the sun when it is high in the sky, with the naked eye, and virtual apertures exist that allow the sun to be observed when it is sinking. The Solar Corona can be easily discerned. The physics of these techniques are on display at Newgrange but have not been properly explained or understood until now.
It is too complicated to go into here but I would be glad to send anyone a full explanation. Thanks for your interest. Its clearly not going to stop here.

David Kane.

Given that all of that is correct David, what does it all actually measure up to...i.e. what did it do for Neolithiic man to make life easier for himself or was it just a 'belief' thing? And yes may I take you up on your full explanation offer please. Thanks.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
19th April 2011ce
20:18

In reply to:

Re: Trevethy Quoit (Horsedrawn)

1 reply:

Re: Trevethy Quoit (Horsedrawn)

Messages in this topic: