The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Trethevy Quoit Forum Start a topic | Search
Trethevy Quoit
Re: Trevethy Quoit
107 messages
Select a forum:
Dear Wychburyman et al,
Dave and I have been intensively studying Trethevy Quoit for 18 months now, although Dave first became interested in it back in the 90s (but was then resident in Lincolnshire). Dave moved to Cornwall in January to allow our research to intensify and I make frequent visits from Devon (although I'm currently looking to move closer as well).

What we have so far discovered is that longer term observations (throughout the course of the day and at different times of the year) reveal a lot more than cursory and/or random visits. The interplay of light and shade between the stones is a truly dynamic affair and strongly suggests that this was entirely intentional. Some, if not all, of the stones appear to have been 'worked' so that portions of their surface catch the sunlight in very specific ways and at specific times when the sun's rays hit them obliquely. I have so far taken in excess of 2000 photos of these effects whilst Dave has been studiously recording our findings and doing the astronomical calculations and historical research into the work of previous pioneers in this field (Prof. John North, Sir Norman Lockyer & Captain Henderson).

There are alignments to summer solstice (sunrise and sunset!) and winter solstice sunset (we are unable, as yet, to ascertain any winter solstice sunrise alignment because nearby houses totally obscure this position!)
We are also astounded by our most recent discovery of what appear to be the remnants of potential 'figurative' carvings on various surfaces, only visible for short periods of time when the sun hits them obliquely!

The matter of the toppled stone 7 is a cause of great consternation for us because, in its upright position, it would effectively act as a 'projection surface' for morning light coming in through the apertures and this could be crucial to part of the Quoit's function to determine when solstices occur!

The more we observe and investigate, the more we become convinced that the Quoit was intended to work in exactly this way. Whether or not it was ever used as a 'tomb' is entirely speculative, but even if it was, this would almost certainly have been secondary. Likewise with theories of the structure having been covered or buried, we have so far found no evidence to suggest this.

There are many more aspects we have yet to investigate, including any potential Lunar and/or Stellar alignments, but rest assured that we will be continuing with our research and intend to publish our findings.

Royston E. Naylor

wychburyman wrote:
Hello neighbours

Whilst in Cornwall a few weeks ago I spent a day chasing stones, of which Trevethy was one of the highlights.

I perchanced upon an interesting gentleman by the name of Dave Cane (or Kane). A quirky sort of fellow who had apparently spent 20 years studying what he saw was various alignments of the Quoit. He didn't accept it was a burial chamber and felt it was for various astronomical predictions. We must have chatted away for an hour or more.

I just wonder if anyone has heard of him and his theories and what they think of them.

Thanks

Reply | with quote
stonefree
Posted by stonefree
18th April 2011ce
10:59

In reply to:

Trevethy Quoit (wychburyman)

3 replies:

Re: Trevethy Quoit (tiompan)
Re: Trevethy Quoit (StoneGloves)
Re: Trevethy Quoit (Mr Hamhead)