The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Cumbria Forum Start a topic | Search
Cumbria
Re: Cumbrian sites of interest
14 messages
Select a forum:
Mustard wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
I'm away up to Cumbria next week for a few days staying at Moorhouse by Carlisle. On the way up, or back, I willl be looking in at Castlerigg but does anyone have any suggestions for places of interest near to where I am staying please? Thanks in anticipation.

Over the Scottish border, you're quite close to The Twelve Apostles of Holywood. Girdle Stanes and Loupin Stanes are also reasonably close. Personally, I'd be willing to put in the extra miles to get to Cairnholy and Torhousekie as well.

In Cumbria, Long Meg, Gunnerkeld and Gamestones are within striking distance. Swinside is a bit of a hike from where you're staying, but you might want to consider it either on the way there or back. It's really a corker.

Cheers Mustard much appreciated. Long Meg I've already 'done' as I have Swinside but the 'over the Scottish border' ones sound really promising. Thanks again

Girdle Stanes and Loupin Stanes don't seem to get much in the way of recognition, but I was really, really taken with these circles. I'd put them quite high up my "must see" list, so don't let the occasionally underwhelming photographs put you off.

I won't never fear. My only problem this time is that I'm a passenger and not at the wheel so won't expect my mate to be galloping off all over the shop just for my benefit so the border sites sound grand. Right, better get the old pole out again (don't you dare!) and polish it up ready for a few aerial shots.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
21st July 2010ce
10:48

In reply to:

Re: Cumbrian sites of interest (Mustard)

Messages in this topic: