The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Rock art. so what's that all about then. ?
118 messages
Select a forum:
Resonox wrote:
faerygirl wrote:
The few things I have read (and maybe it just says a lot about the kind of books I opt for!) suggest its all part of Shaman rituals. If you take certain hallucinogens then you see concentric rings, squiggly lines, zigzags etc.
Not having partaken of any hallucinogens I can't profess to be an authority....but, if you press your knuckles into your (closed)eyelids and rub...not too hard as to cause damage...you will find that creates a similar effect to what you are describing.
I believe sunstroke victims suffer similar effects too.

Mind you I've seen some squiggly and zigzag paths been taken by blokes with too much Stella Artois down their necks ;0)

Usually referred to as entoptics or later ,phosphenes , much of early rock art consists of these visual sensations .They can result from a wide variety of causes ,here's a wee list : sensory deprivation or monotony , flickering light , rhythmic driving accomplished by drumming or repetitive chanting , lack of sleep or food for few days , ingestion of drugs , migraine dizziness , electrical stimulation , hypoglycaemia , hyperventilation , epilepsy , advanced syphilis , hypothermia ,isolation or life threatening stress , hypongogic or hyponpompic reverie (upon going to sleep or waking up ,fever or delirium ,malaria , delirium tremens ,crystal gazing ,photostimulation and pressure on the eyeball .
One of the zig zags at Fourknocks is on the lintel hence the lame joke about it being being the source of the motif .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
26th July 2010ce
18:30

Messages in this topic: