The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Rock art. so what's that all about then. ?
118 messages
Select a forum:
Hi, its a real big conundrum rock art. I'm sorry to say I've not read through al the replies so might be saying somethings already addressed in what is clearly a busy thread.

My feelings, for what they're worth, are that the importance of landscape rock art (rather than that in tombs) to the people around at the time the different peckings and carvings were made works on two important levels

1 is in its location in the landscape and whether there are key views or transitions in views when approaching and leaving the rock art locations (as Richard Bradley theorised around Kilmartin where he identified the locations as being where a new view revealed itself to someone walking to the rock art). They may therefore be important as both communal markers and rights of way markers communicating messages about who lives in the land to travellers.

2 is in the original act of making the rock art which may have been a social/communal event in itself possibly relating to social and ritual events, and possibly involving storytelling, initiation and/or ceremony.

Cheers, Bill

Reply | with quote
Posted by billb
21st July 2010ce
14:02

Messages in this topic: