The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Rock art. so what's that all about then. ?
118 messages
Select a forum:
You know, the pregnancy idea is one I've only heard once before, and that was in relation to some carvings at Buttony in Nbland, where it was suggested that they looked distinctly as if the carver was female. The idea was even put forward that the rings represented the number of finger widths needed to describe vulvic dilation, and that this explained why there are hardly ever more than 8 rings.

Ah, that's really interesting. And perhaps we shouldn't put too much emphasis on how many rings there are in relation to the periods of pregnancy (my first thought) as different cultures have different ways of counting those periods (traditionally ten [months] in Japan). What strikes me more than anything with the ring and line motif (sorry, I don't know what the correct terms are here) is that they stand, pictorially, in balance and equally important. That's extraordinary when you think about. Normally, if a line cut through several circles you'd be left with the impression that the line was the dominant feature; but here it isn't - both line and rings appear equally balanced.

Reply | with quote
Littlestone
Posted by Littlestone
21st July 2010ce
05:23

Messages in this topic: